Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Spice of Life

One of the houses on our street has a pink door!

This weekend I made chicken curry from my friend Rebekah's recipe. I love chicken curry. Two hot green chilies, two onions, and all the spices that come along with dish were having me take a sip of water every once in a while so I could safely dive back in. Since finding spicy food here is like trying to find a hill-billy in Paris, you can imagine the joy in eating hot Indian food. The people at work think I'm crazy with needing to put some heat in the food. Maybe I'm secretly afraid of losing my tolerance so I have to go way out of my way to get something hot enough to just maintain the level I'm on.

Mexican food in Maine is a joke. Try as I might, my downfall comes when it comes to choosing salsas. Well I made a grave mistake the other day in getting a salsa that was not made in the southwest. It was the Muir Glen organic brand and it tasted like tomato sauce. Spike and I tried to fight through it, but I finally came to grips with reality and realized that we didn't like it and I threw it out. I know, I know...it's such a waste. Believe me, I'm the one who bought it! It's back to Desert Pepper, Mrs. Renfro's and Frontera for now.

Something that caught me off guard the other night was the gelato I had at Whole Foods. I'm usually pretty adventurous when it comes to food so I decided to try a flavor I've never heard of. Passion Fruit Habanero. At first the flavor was sweet and fruity. Then BAM! the habanero hit me just like a little brother comes up and kicks you from behind when you're least expecting it. I had to get it, and then I regretted it about half-way through the kids size scoop. My mouth was on fire! But man it was good. I told my friend Jeni that I don't who came up with the recipe, but it couldn't have been a Mainer since they're spice wussies. Sorry, but it's true.

1 comment:

  1. What can I get you in July? Tabasco? Louisiana Hot Sauce? JT Garcia's (if they have it in Austin)? JalepeƱos? Chipotle peppers? Dave's Temporary Insanity (serious ouchy ouch-Fredericksburg Sikes adventurous hot)? Hit me up while you have the chance!

    Also, can you give us a little more of an inside as to what the Tex-Mex of Maine is? What are some of the not so obvious staples (like seafood in general)?

    ReplyDelete