Monday, October 4, 2010

The Bridges of Cumberland County

Yesterday I went to a wedding shower for a co-worker at the home of someone else at work. This was that stereotypical kind of Sunday drive where you just want to take your time looking at all the fall foliage and not rush to get to the destination. The directions were simple to get out there...just keep driving until you see the sign for "Covered Bridge Road." Take a left and drive down the winding road in the shade of the all the changing trees (the second part of that wasn't in the directions). You'll get to the covered bridge, cross it, and a mile from that is the house. Let me back up - the covered bridge. I don't think that Texas has any covered bridges. I'm only saying that because I've never been over a covered bridge. Please prove me wrong so I can go across it someday when I'm back in the Lone Star State.

This bridge was old or at least it looked that way. There was a 3 ton weight limit and it was only one lane so it could prove tricky if you came across someone coming toward you. I had to get out and take a few pictures. This was just too perfect. The water under the bridge was so completely still and some of the leaves on the trees had started to change in the background. I almost don't believe that I was there. But the pictures prove it, and it was amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right about covered bridges in Texas. I've never seen one. The only bridges I can think of aside from interstate bridges are the ones freight trains cross. I've been through a tunnel under an old bridge, but... I guess that doesn't count. Still cool you got to go out there, though. Picturesque.

    ReplyDelete