Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Leaf Peeper!!

Spike took these pictures of our street

Before the onset of Fall began, I told my co-workers how excited I was to watch the changing of the leaves. The pictures I'd seen and the reports I'd heard from everyone who'd been to the northeast during this season were nothing but glowing. Colors so vibrant and air so crisp that it just had to be amazing. Texas doesn't get that much changing of leaves because of the circumstances of where it's located geographically and the fact that the weather doesn't lend itself to it too well. Botany lesson for today: In order for the leaves to change color, there has to be the perfect ratio of daylight to night and the temperature has to fall between in very specific spots for the right amount of time. Maine's got it - Texas doesn't. It's just a fact.

Back when Spike and I picked apples in Alfred, the leaves were just beginning to change colors. These days they're at their peak, and the slightest rain or wind can leave them all crushed in the middle of the street looking like trash. If you've never made it to New England in the Fall, consider this your invitation. From the end of September all the way until the 3rd week in October, there's bound to be some good leaf peeping.

Leaf peeping? You read it right. Back when I told my co-workers how I couldn't wait to see the changing of the leaves, they said with disdain, "Oh, you're one of those...Leaf Peepers." I had to explain to them that I'd never seen Fall the way New England does it. I'm not sure how someone could come up here and not be fascinated by the brilliant reds, oranges, yellows, and corals that abound on the trees. I'd hate to get to the point when Fall holds nothing special anymore. These Mainers don't know how good they have it! And Texans, you don't know what you're missing!

No comments:

Post a Comment