Thursday, July 1, 2010

Come and Git Yer Live Lobsters!

To combat this "not wanting to cook" syndrome with Spike away, I ordered Thai food the other night. Curry has become my new favorite dish, and Mekhong Thai down the road knows just how to make it. I usually get green curry chicken while Spike usually gets the Massaman, or red, curry. I ordered both dishes so I could get 4 meals out of them when it was all said and done.

Driving over to the restaurant was actually kind of entertaining despite the rush hour traffic. All within 30 seconds while waiting at a red light, I saw some of the funniest things I've seen in a while. First, Walgreens was advertising on their electric sign that they had live lobsters. Uhhh...seriously? I can just imagine at the next dinner party, "These lobsters are delicious. Did you get them down at the Wharf?" And the response, "Nope. I got 'em down at the Wol-greens. They was on special." That's when you know you're a redneck in Maine: you get your lobsters at Walgreens. I'm still confused about this.

Next, a car in the lane next to me was sporting every kind of New England Patriots signage you could imagine. And one other thing - a bumper sticker that said "I Hate Peyton Manning." Now I'm no football buff. Spike and I hate football so much that we have deemed Super Bowl Sunday the best day to go out to eat for a quiet meal in a restaurant. But Peyton Manning is hilarious. Did you see him do the United Way commercial parody on Saturday Night Live? It's classic! And besides that, it was one of the funniest SNLs I've ever seen. Period. I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that these Patriots fans have no sense of humor and are jealous of Peyton Manning.

Last, in the building next to Mekhong Thai is a small seafood store that sells lobsters among other things. I've never been in there, but I know this because there's a white van that sits on the side of the street and has this advertised on the back doors. But it's no ordinary advertising. They really went to great lengths to make this sign look good. So good that it looks like they got their four year old to paint "Lobsters $6.99/lb" with an oversized brush and in lobster blood. That's a lot of dead lobsters. And it definitely makes me want to buy seafood from people who park their van (the kind with no windows, mind you) on the street and advertise their offerings in lobster blood. Yummy.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try some! You should check out how Lidia Bastianich prepares lobster. I've never seen it done this way before, but it actually makes sense.

    (Sorry you have to copy and paste the links.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss57ozH2X0w

    Here's what happens at the restaurant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMgHyodwlPA&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking that you may have needed to warn me about that second video (the first one wouldn't work) because I was eating. That's officially the most disgusting thing I've seen in a long time and I hope I never have to see it again. But I still love you.

    ReplyDelete