Monday, August 16, 2010

The Subaru Obsession

When I was a teenager, I somehow got it in my head that I wanted...no, NEEDED to get this Volkswagen Jetta. It was a cute, small, sporty car that I thought fit my lifestyle. Everywhere we went I'd point out the Jettas. They were everywhere! Or so I thought. Before that, it was this Kia Sportage, but let's not go there.

These days, I've seen a lot of Subarus on the road here in Maine. I never gave the Subaru a second thought until I seemed to notice them around town. I always thought the earlier models of the Forester were really awful, but it's seemed to pull its act together and redesigned the body. But back to my point...there's a lot of those cars around this area. I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to why, but it might give you an indication that they're good here in the winter. This year they discontinued their LL Bean (a Maine-based company as discussed in an earlier post) edition cars. Kind of like how Ford had the Eddie Bauer edition Explorers. Have I lost you completely? Warning: serious off topic subject coming up. I've always been the type of person to notice the slightest things that change or are wrong in areas around me. I could go on about how it bothers me when gas stations put their 8s in upside down (there IS a right-side-up) or when the fast food places use a W to replace the lost M (or the other way around). But I SERIOUSLY digress.

Since I started thinking about Subarus, I started doing research to find out more about them. Turns out they're really safe cars. Five stars on the government safety crash tests on all their models. I guess Mainers care about being safe on the slick roads during the cold months (I haven't gotten to the reliability research though). It never fails either that there's a kayak, canoe, or some of rack storage type thingy on the roof, i.e. they seem to live pretty active lifestyles. They don't care about the body style of their vehicles. It's a box on wheels that gets them from Point A to Point B.

I guess I'll just keep noticing the Subarus until something else catches my eye. But I swear there's tons of them around town!

3 comments:

  1. The Subaru Outbacks have always reminded me of lizards and Tevas. Not at the same time, but one or the other. They're low to the ground, and they look like a lizard head (hood being the nose/mouth). Other times they look like a Teva sandle because they're flat-ish, and the toes would go where the hood is (duh). For some reason, they look strappy. Don't ask me why exactly. They look nature-friendly, too. Maybe that's the Mainer appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got a new subaru impreza a few months ago. Last week we took it on a road trip (first time the car had been out of town) all the way through Colorado. I was really enjoying it on those mountain roads; it handled really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've killed for a VW Golf in the mid-90s! There are tons of Subarus in Vermont as well.

    ReplyDelete