Saturday, August 7, 2010

You Wanted Canadians, eh?

You asked for it, you got it! In my first reader's poll, you told me that you wanted to read about Canadians more than Wal-Mart or the political air of the state. I followed this poll somewhat closely and Wal-Mart had a pretty good lead for a while, but the Canadians pulled out in front for the win, a first I'm sure (kidding!). So here goes nothing...

The first night that Spike and I were in Maine, we went to On the Border for dinner. It was something familiar in this strange place that we would call our "home away from home." On our way out of the restaurant, we saw a license plate from New Brunswick, Canada, which is just north of Maine. That started the awakening that we weren't in Texas anymore. Since then we've seen license plates from Quebec, Nova Scotia and other provinces close to Maine partially because the Canadian dollar has seen a boost. While it might not be a huge boost, they still come to Maine during these months for vacation, and a weaker American dollar has only helped.

Case in point, when my sister was here this past week we went down to the Maine/New Hampshire border where there are lots of outlet shops. In Van Heusen, Monica paid with her local bank's ATM card. The clerk didn't recognize it and asked if it was Canadian. Monica's answer? "No, it's Austin, Texan." This could have also been spurred on by the fact that there was a Canadian couple in there speaking French. Next we went into Aldo where I saw a pair of really great cowboy-ish looking boots. I tried the brown ones on, but wanted to compare with the black. Since they didn't have my size in black the clerk told me that they could ship them to me for free - if I lived in the US. I've never experienced anything like this! Was I American? Oh honey, you have no idea.

1 comment: